Free Consultation! 888-807-9675

Contact Us!

Contact us today for a free, no obligation consultation!

Pennsylvania SSDI Attorney: Will Marriage Affect Your SSI or SSDI Benefits?

Marriage is a happy occasion marking the joining of two lives; however, it can have an impact on your livelihood if you are receiving Social Security disability benefits. The Social Security Administration (SSA) has two benefit structures to provide benefits for disabled individuals. Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) pays out benefits based on years worked and amount paid into the system. Supplemental Security Income (SSI) provides benefits for disabled individuals who do not have an extensive work history. How marriage impacts benefits depends on if you receive SSI or SSDI.

Marriage Impacts on SSDI

If you are receiving SSDI benefits based on your own personal work record, then marriage will have no effect on your benefits. No matter if your future spouse works, receives disability benefits or has no income, your benefits will remain unchanged. If you are receiving SSDI benefits under a parent’s work record or from an ex-spouse’s work record, then getting married will cause your benefits to cease.

Marriage Impacts on SSI

Since SSI is based on strict income and resource limits, getting married can impact your benefits. Upon getting married, the SSA will count some of your spouse’s income as part of your own. If your income exceeds that of the accepted level to receive SSI benefits, your benefits could cease. If your future spouse is also receiving SSI, there is a high likelihood that your benefits will be reduced upon joining your incomes.

If you are disabled and have not applied for Social Security disability benefits, our Philadelphia legal team can help. If you have been denied benefits in the past, the Philadelphia SSD attorneys at Mednick, Mezyk & Kredo can help you appeal your denial, working with your medical team and ensuring all appropriate medical evidence is presented to the SSA. Call us today at 888-807-WORK (9675) for a free case evaluation.