In Philadelphia, slip and fall accidents are a threat to many who are out and about. The threat of these accidents is often due to improperly maintained sidewalks and walkways, melting snow refreezing on hard surfaces, and slick, wet conditions on floors of grocery stores and shopping centers.
It’s important to be cautious and aware at all times, but especially in the winter months. Often, snow can melt and refreeze overnight, giving it the appearance of a puddle of water, but in reality is slippery ice. Another thing to keep in mind while traversing city streets and maintaining homes is that wood and other surfaces can deteriorate under snow, ice, salt and other chemicals, causing slip and fall threats.
While you can attempt to be prepared, sometimes the unexpected can happen and an accident can occur. The attorneys at Mednick, Mezyk & Kredo, P.C., suggest following these steps if you or a loved one are involved in a slip and fall accident in Philadelphia:
- Survey your injuries, call 911, or get help immediately.
- Take pictures of the scene of the accident, including conditions of the stairs, floor, or area in which you were walking.
- Get names, addresses, and phone numbers of all witnesses.
- If you are in a store, it is important to get the contact information of employees who witnessed your fall in addition to the manager you spoke with after the fall.
- Report the fall, but only the basic facts – enough to fill out a report with the property owner, store manager, etc.
- Take note of the major and minor events of the fall to report to your attorney.
- Contact your attorney and allow them to take care of your case while you focus on healing your injuries.
- Continue to get treatment to heal your injuries.
- Do NOT speak to an insurance adjuster until you first speak with your attorney.
While this list focuses on the main points on what to do after an accident, the most important thing is to contact an attorney who understands the laws and your rights. The Philadelphia slip and fall attorneys at Mednick, Mezyk & Kredo will focus on your case with the utmost care and respect and attain the legal results you deserve. Contact our firm today at 888-807-WORK (9675).